While I’m gone, on my grand adventure, I have a house-sitter who will also be watching my furry kids (Kinley and Aker). In preparation of her taking over my home, I’ve come up with a short list of things I’m taking care of before I leave. I thought I would share my list in case it’s helpful to anyone else in the future.
House-Sitter Prep List
- Thoroughly clean house, including all linens.
- Change batteries in smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Have furnace maintained (or any other major appliances that are in need).
- Create list of phone numbers (emergency contacts, veterinarian, home maintenance, etc). Make sure at least one person on the list can make expense or important life decisions (especially when it comes to pets).
- Create list of special instructions (mine includes specific instructions regarding the care of my pets, home insurance information, garbage days, etc).
- Ensure pets have had a recent check-up and are in good health.
- Provide veterinarian with house-sitter contact information and leave a credit card on file (if available).
- Stock extra dog food and supplies.
- Stock essentials (paper towels, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, etc).
- Set aside time to meet with house-sitter to go over details.
And, if you are like me and your sink springs a leak right before your trip it’s very convenient to have your dad visit around that time. Luckily my dad had the leak fixed quickly.
I’m sure there are many other things that could be done. If you have suggestions, send them my way or leave a comment below.