I started a new tradition on this trip that I wanted to share. I’m not a huge music buff. In fact, I listen to the same radio station all the time and they mostly play the same music over and over again. I’m even one of those people that can drive home with no music at all. But, when I’m on vacation I love listening to music and I especially love listening to new music. On my most recent trip, I discovered several new songs (I’m sure these are not new to others…remember I listen to the same boring music all the time). In case anyone is interested here is some of the new (to me) music I came across.
Before I Left
Before I left I took the opportunity to rub it in a bit to my co-workers and played this song at our last meeting…”Cups (When I’m Gone)” by Anna Kendrick.
Naturally the predominate music in Belize is reggae. I really enjoyed listening to “Because I got High” by It’s a Cover Up. I found the lyrics (minus a couple of vulgar verses) quite funny and it definitely reminds me of Belize every time I hear it.
Some of the songs I heard and enjoyed in New Zealand were also very popular in Australia. First the local artists…
- “Royals” by Lorde
- “Why Does Love Do This To Me” by The Exponents (this was our “morning song” during our tour, meaning we played/sang it every morning…I actually didn’t enjoy it at first, but it grew on me after hearing it every morning for 20+ days)
And, here are some others I heard and enjoyed while in New Zealand.
- “Up All Night to Get Lucky” by Get Up Daisy (someone in our tour group told me this song was by Daftcom, but I couldn’t find such a band on iTunes)
- “I Love It” by Icona Pop
- “Mirrors” by Justin Timberlake (a lovely friend I met from Germany and who currently lives in Australia played and sang this for us while we were in Bay of Islands)
First a couple of Aussie artists that I enjoyed…
- Christine Anew – She’s an aboriginal singer. I heard one of her songs at the Taronga Zoo in Sydney. I haven’t yet downloaded any of her music.
- Lanie Lane – Our guide give me a copy of one of her albums, but one song in particular that I really enjoyed was “Bang Bang”.
And, a few others I first heard in Australia.
- “Wake Me Up” and “Hey Brother” by Avicii
- “Feel So Close” by Calvin Harris
- “Blurred Lines” by Robin Thicke (I had no idea Robin Thicke could sing like this)
- “Dog Days Are Over” by Florence and the Machines
- “Buffalo Soldier” by Bob Marley
- “Let Her Go” by Passenger
- “Sex on Fire” by Kings of Leon
- “Solid Rock” by Richard Perso (I downloaded a version with a strange intro, but I still like it)
- “Lemon Tree” by Fool’s Garden (a fellow traveler from Germany told me that they used this song in school to teach English…that made me like the song even more)
- “The Lazy Song” by Bruno Mars
Don’t judge me…I said these are new to me…now I’ve revealed that I really am a “musical idiot”. I’d love to know what others think of these songs. Are there others that you think are similar that I would like?…please share.